Thursday, 1 August 2013

Just Add Spice by Carol E. Wyer As soon as I read the opening passage to Carol E. Wyer's new novel I was hooked, even more so when I realised I wasn't reading the latest erotica but a very humorous and touching account of a middle aged woman's dawning realisation that there is more to life than being a wife and mother. Dawn has had her share of heartache but for more than twenty years she has had a safe and secure marriage and a son which have been the centre of her life, it may not have been an exciting life but she's been happy. Now though, husband Jim has been made redundant and Dawn has joined a writing class and is actually writing a novel. Her life suddenly becomes entwined with that of her character Cinnamon Knight as certain traits of Cinnamon bring out a new woman in Dawn as she finds herself experimenting with exercise, pondering her old life, making new friends and generally just trying to spice things up as she discovers her past may not have been all she thought and that there's life out there for the taking and it's never too late to start again. Dawn is the kind of character that you just want as your friend, she's warm, friendly and enjoys a laugh. Her character Cinnamon is everything Dawn is not, feisty and full of anger but equally a character to empathise with and warm to. I enjoyed following both Dawn and Cinnamon's stories. Even though there is some deeper sadness involved there is plenty of humour and light hearted moments and the story and the characters kept my interest throughout. The cast of characters is fabulous, even the minor ones leave a very colourful picture in the head of the reader and their voices are just spot on. It was a real pleasure to be with Dawn as she evolved in this novel and I'm sure every reader has wished her well with her new beginning... This was the first book I've read by Carol E.Wyer but I can honestly say it won't be the last, I enjoyed every kickboxing punch and damaged letter!

No comments:

Post a Comment