Monday, 12 August 2013
Before I Met You - Lisa Jewell
When Betty moves to Guernsey for what should be a few months with her mother and stepfather to look after her step-grandmother she never expects it to be a permanent move and she doesn't expect to become so close to Arlette, her step-grandmother, that she ends up being the old lady's carer in her big old house. When Arlette dies, Betty is 22 and has only ever left Guernsey once since they moved there for a brief visit to family which included an even briefer visit to Soho. From that day Betty has dreamed of living a life in Soho. In her will Arlette leaves Betty a small amount of money and a bequest for someone called 'Clara Pickle' who once lived in Soho....
When Betty then finds a book inscribed to Clara Pickle she is determined to find this mysterious woman and sets off for Soho with her small bequest and huge determination.
As Betty finds her feet in the big city, makes friends, finds work and searches for Clara Pickle her story becomes interspersed with that of Arlette's during the Twenties where we learn about Arlette's life and eventually who Clara Pickle is.
Both Betty's and Arlette's stories make for a fascinating and gripping read and the Twenties story in particular is interesting and intense with a colourful depiction of the Jazz Age. I do like a dual time story and this one does work particularly well with well thought out characters and a moving and insightful storyline. Lisa Jewell's work just goes from strength to strength!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2013
(47)
-
▼
August
(8)
- - UNTIL IT'S OVER - Astrid Bell, bicycle courier...
- My Husband Next Door – Catherine Alliott From bei...
- OFF THE RECORD by Sue Welfare Some of the best li...
- CLOSE MY EYES - Sophie McKenzie This book should ...
- The House we Grew Up In - Lisa Jewell I have now ...
- Before I Met You - Lisa Jewell When Betty moves t...
- THE LETTER by Kathryn Hughes I was totally taken ...
- Just Add Spice by Carol E. Wyer As soon as I read...
-
▼
August
(8)
No comments:
Post a Comment