Wednesday, 25 June 2014

The Truth Will OutThe Truth Will Out by Jane Isaac

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This new crime book by Jane Isaac will keep you turning the pages to find out ‘whodunit’ and why. From the very first chapter I was chilled and hooked in equal measures. I have read many ingenious crime thrillers with clever twists and gory, gloriously novel murders but never one witnessed via Skype... because whilst Eve and Naomi chat via Skype one evening, Naomi is murdered and Eve is an eyewitness, a witness who knows what’s going on and who is scared and knows she has to go before she too is attacked....
With Eve gone there are no clues as to the perpetrator or reasons why Naomi was killed and when any information that DCI Helen Lavery does discover just leads to more murder the mystery becomes more intense and bewildering.
Although the reader learns bits of Eve’s involvement throughout the book, so we know where she is when the police don’t and why Naomi was killed, we get to know her mindset and feel her fear; it is a gripping and quite chilling read. Set in an estate that could be any run down estate in Britain with the type of gangland criminality that you hear about in the media, this crime and the criminals are all too believable and makes the story all the more realistic. Every time the story followed Eve I felt was right there with her, heart in mouth, jumping at noises, trembling at shadows and never feeling safe. As I turned the pages I was urging the police to work it out, to get to Eve before it was too late.
I won’t say whether they did or not but I will say that this is one new crime author that I will certainly be looking out for in the future. Twists and turns, dead ends and fantastic writing ensure that Jane Isaac is right up there with Tess Gerritson and Nicci French for nail-biting suspense and if you are looking for a crime novel to make your nerve endings tingle this could be the one for you.
With thanks to Netgalley and Legend Press for the ARC of this book.





No comments:

Post a Comment