Wednesday, 11 September 2013
- THE HUSBAND'S SECRET by Liane Moriarty -
I loved What Alice Forgot and really enjoyed The Last Anniversary so I was really looking forward to this one - and I wasn't disappointed.
Cecilia Fitzpatrick; the epitome of Superwoman. All round good member of the community, Tupperware entrepeneur, good mum, wife, friend, she seems to have it all until she finds a letter in the attic, old and dusty, clearly forgotten, it is addressed to Cecilia in her husband's writing with the direction that it is to be opened after his death. Considering her husband is very much alive and well, Cecilia is, to say the least, curious but she can have no idea what far reaching consequences her opening it will have....
Tess returns to Melbourne, to her mum, after she finds out she has been betrayed by the two people she loves and trusts most. Tess takes young son Liam to Melbourne where she starts to question everything she thought was right with her life and where she becomes unwittingly embroiled in Cecilia's secret....
Rachel, secretary of the school which Cecilia's children attend has has never got over the death of her daughter nearly thirty years before and still hopes for justice for her....
These three women's lives are headed to clash with earth shattering consequences....
Brilliantly written. Once Cecilia opens that letter there is no going back, you know you are hurtling down a one way road to devastation. Constantly thinking, 'what would I do', I read in fascination, trying to imagine the turmoil each woman is in and wondering where the story was going because although we know something is going to, inevitably, blow up, until it actually happens we are kept wondering.
The characters are great, not only Tess, Cecilia and Rachel but the wonderfully eccentric and soft-hearted headmistress, Tess' cousin Felicity, Cecilia's daughters and the mysterious PE teacher Connor.
Although serious subjects are the focus of this book, there are some very comic moments that reflect true life and the various interactions between couples are very realistic.
I laughed, gasped, felt outraged and indignant and yes, even had a tear or two at times, totally gripped and caught up as I was in this wonderful, compelling and mesmirising story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like your new background Lisa. I like the sound of this one, thanks for reviewing it. I've still got What Alice Forgot on my to be read pile.
ReplyDeleteGreat review! I'm just reading this at the moment and loving it. I've just got to the part where she reads the letter. I was trying to guess what the secret might be, but that was like, wow! Very clever how she portrays the characters and how their lives are linked.
ReplyDelete