Friday, 5 April 2013
The Weird Sisters - Eleanor Brown
Interesting how this seems to be a 'marmite' book. Me, I'm pretty ambivalent about it. It's taken me ages to get hold of a copy and in the first few pages I thought I would love it, after all, it was about three sisters named for Shakespearean heroines and all were fervent readers embroiled in various forms of sibling rivalry - what's not to love, right? How about the irritating interchange of third person/plural? How about overuse of Shakespearean quotes? How about cliched characters? It could have worked, yes, the sisterly interplay was good and realistic; the sniping and sarcasm and support but god, how annoyingly pathetic were they? If they were meant to resemble their namesakes there was a lot of misunderstanding! Rose and Bean were just plain pathetic, neither had any get up and go, unless, in Bean's case it was into someone's bed or a bar! Rose was clingy and neurotic; Bean slutty and neurotic; Cordy slutty and well, slutty. You could work out how this book was going to end before you were half way through and really, did it end? It wasn't very satisfying, nothing was really achieved or finished off. A move was made, a job was got, a baby was had. Wow.
Sadly, it was a bit of a slog and I never did work out why the sister's were talked about by name and then suddenly it was 'we'. What was the point being made, what was being illustrated? It was just irritating and made the whole story seem as if it was written by a Primary school child who gets tense confused.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2013
(47)
-
▼
April
(7)
- How to Be a Good Wife - Emma Chapman I have to ad...
- Florence and Giles - John Hardy I loved this. Of ...
- The Weird Sisters - Eleanor Brown Interesting how...
- Ketchup Clouds - Annabel Pitcher Another fabulous...
- A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess Interesting ...
- The Carrier - Sophie Hannah Thrilled to welcome b...
- The Drowning by Camilla Lackberg This was my firs...
-
▼
April
(7)
No comments:
Post a Comment