Wednesday, 20 February 2013
Night Train to Lisbon - Pascal Mercier
A very profound book that I can't even begin to 'interpret' so I won't try! I can only say that during the reading of it I often found myself thinking, 'how true' or 'I feel like that..' It delves into life, love, how we see ourselves and how others see us, who sees the 'truth' and what that truth is to different people.
It starts when teacher of Classic languages' Raimund Gregorius has a chance encounter with a Portuguese woman; this leads him to abandon his classes and then later that day he finds and intriguing Portuguese book. Both these things propel him to leave his ordinary and meticulous life, pack a bag and take the night train to Lisbon to find out more about the author of the book - a doctor called Amadeu de Prado.
Throughout his digging for the true story of Prado, Gregorius becomes more self aware and more aware of others also. He comes to feel that he knows Prado like no one ever knew him and the more he discovers the more he questions himself and his own life.
It's a very intriguing novel and I did enjoy the search for Prado and the questioning of life. It was particularly interesting to learn something about the Resistance and regime in Portugal in the 70's.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment